Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Incredibly easy and delicious Banoffe Pie

I have made this pie probably 4 or 5 times since thanksgiving. This year for thanksgiving the four of us were on our own. We had a lovely dinner at home. Since Thanksgiving is more important to my hubby than it is to me, I told him he could pick the menu. For dessert he wanted banana cream pie. Banana cream pie is not my fave but I was determined to make his meal special. I set out to find a recipe for banana cream pie that maybe I could like too. As soon as I found this one, I knew I had hit the jackpot. It was banana cream pie-ish enough to make Brad happy and close enough to a cheesecake to satisfy me. It is a new fave in our house for sure. I love how incredibly easy it is and it never ceases to impress those who consume it. It is the perfect mix of textures; creamy, substantial thanks to the bananas and then a slight crunch due to the heavenly Oreo crust. The bananas also help cut the sweetness of the pie adding a freshness that is so delicious. I am not a fan of overly sickly, can hardly get them down without a gallon of water sweets. This pie is sweet but not too sweet. I have actually made it with both an oreo and a graham cracker crust. I like both but I think I have decided I LOVE it with the oreo crust. The Best Banoffee Pie
Note: I use the Heath brand of chocolate covered toffee bits. If you can't find chocolate covered, chop up regular-sized Heath bars. Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature, otherwise, the topping may be prone to little lumps of cream cheese. Also, it's really important to have a healthy layer of bananas otherwise the pie is too sweet. If your bananas are small and two won't cut it, don't be afraid - add a third. Ingredients Crust: 24 chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos or Trader Joe's Joe-Joe's) 5 tablespoons butter, softened Pie: 20 ounces dulce de leche (1 1/2 cans) or make your own 2 bananas 1 cup chocolate covered toffee bits 1 cup heavy whipping cream 1/4 cup powdered sugar 8 ounces light or regular cream cheese, softened to room temperature 1/4 cup brown sugar Directions 1.Add the cookies and butter to a blender or food processor and process until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate or freeze until set (this makes it easier to spread the dulce de leche over the crust). Spread the dulce de leche over the bottom and up the sides of the chilled crust. 2.In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar, brown sugar and cream cheese. Whip with a handheld or electric stand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add the heavy whipping cream and starting at the lowest speed (to avoid splatters), mix until combined. Increase the mixer speed to medium and mix until the mixture is light and creamy and is the consistency of spreadable, thick frosting. 3.Slice the bananas about 1/4-inch thick and layer the slices over the dulce de leche in the crust. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup toffee bits over the bananas. Spread the whipped cream filling over the bananas and toffee, making sure to spread all the way to the edges of the pie, covering the bananas completely so they don't brown. Sprinkle the top of the pie with the remaining toffee bits. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving and up to 8 hours (longer than that and the bananas may get a little brown and mushy).

No comments: