Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Another heavenly combination! This pumpkin chocolate chip bread from Mels Kitchen Cafe- www.melskitchencafe.com (I've said it once and I'll say it again...LOVE her!)is wonderful! I can't get enough of the pumpkin chocolate chip combination. If I see a recipe for it, I have to try it. I made this last week and after Brad, Gabe and I devoured one of the loaves in no time, I knew I had to get rid of the other one...stat!

This bread is moist, full of pumpkin and chocolate chip flavor and just plain ol delicious. Mels note however regarding the bread being even better the next day is very true. So if you can, make it the night before and resist the urge to partake until the next morning.

One thing I did do differently with this recipe which didn't affect the taste at all was add some flax seed. One of my gym instructors has put me onto the stuff and since everything we eat tends to be so over processed and unhealthy I am always looking for easy and non-invasive ways to add a little somethin somethin good to my naughty treats. Maybe it just makes me feel better about eating them. "Hey it's healthy it has flax seed in it" Anyways I bought a bag of the stuff at Sams Club for $10.00 and just add a scoop or two to everything I bake and most things I make.

Flax seed is naturally gluten free, is a great source of fiber, protein and most importantly Omega-3's. I add it to my morning shakes, all of my baked goods, my cereal and even some of my main dinner dishes. Give it a go!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
www.melskitchencafe.com



*Note: This bread tastes best when it has cooled completely for a few hours and tastes even better the next day.

*Makes 2 (9X5-inch loaves) or 3 (8X4-inch loaves)

2 ½ cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2/3 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans or three 8×4-inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together canned pumpkin, oil, eggs and 2/3 cup water until well combined and stir into dry ingredients, just until the dry ingredients are moistened and no dry streaks remain. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter in prepared pans.

Bake the bread for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Run a knife gently around the edge of the bread and turn the bread out, right side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely.

This bread freezes beautifully. After cooling, wrap the bread in a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of tin foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.

1 comment:

Mel said...

So glad you loved this recipe and I'm grateful for the tip about flax seed. I'll have to give it a go!