Thursday, January 20, 2011

Apricot & White Chocolate Coffee Cake

A week or so ago my sister in law Liz was sweet enough to surprise me one morning by dropping dinner off to us. Our little guy has decided all of a sudden that there are scary monsters lurking in every corner of our house and this has translated into little to no sleep for a little over a month now. Not having to worry about dinner for a couple of nights was much welcomed and appreciated. I made this dessert to return the favor.

This cake was easy and fast to throw together and I served it warm with a drizzle of unsweetened heavy whipping cream. I liked the addition of the unsweetened cream as for me it seemed to tone down the sweetness of this cake just a tad. Don't get me wrong, I love desserts and sweets but my faves are the ones that don't leave me feeling like I'm about to fall into a diabetic coma once I have eaten them.

Apricot & White Chocolate Coffee Cake
Yields 12 servings





For the cake:
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
2 tbl spoons sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup milk (use whatever you have on hand but preferably not skim)
2 tbl spoons canola oil
1/2 cup white baking chips
1/2 cup apricot preserves

For the topping:

1/3 cup Bisquick baking mix
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbl spoons cold butter

In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix and sugar. Whisk the egg, milk and oil: stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9 inch round baking pan.

Drop preserves by teaspoonfuls over batter. Cut through batter with knife to swirl the preserves.

For topping, combine the biscuit mix and sugar in a small bowl; Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments: