Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A catch up blog- Crispy Chicken Wraps and Australian Sausage Rolls

With our little family being sick for a couple of weeks before Christmas I hadn't had much time to sit and blog. I have made a couple of new things recently that were yummy and I thought were worth the mention. I am so glad the sickness and Christmas is over and am looking forward to some quieter days ahead.

My favorite new lunch item to make is these Crispy Chicken Wraps. I found the recipe on My Kitchen Cafe and fell in love with them. They are really easy to make and very very tasty. Imagine warm, crispy tortillas filled with creamy cheesy chicken. If I could have these for lunch every day I would.



Crispy Chicken Wraps
adapted from Cook's Country

**To prevent the wraps from unrolling during cooking, be sure to start them seam-side down in step 3.

1/3 cup mayonnaise, light or regular
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 scallions, sliced very thin
2 celery ribs, chopped fine (I omitted these due to my husband's non-celery preference)
2 tablespoons sour cream, light or regular
2 teaspoons hot sauce (this does not make them spicy but adds great flavor!)
1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better, in my book)
4 (12-inch) flour tortillas

1. Whisk the mayonnaise, cilantro, scallions, celery, sour cream and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to combine.

2. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open. Spray the tortillas all over with cooking spray.

3. Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. I melt a little butter in the skillet just for a little added color and flavor. Arrange 2 wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve warm.

Australian Sausage Rolls



These are one of my all time favorite Aussie snacks not only to eat but also to make. Super easy and very tasty these never last long once they hit the plate. There are quite a few recipe variations out there but this is one I came up with a few years back when I still lived in Oz. My family always loved it when I made these and I am always delighted when my brothers request that I make them for them now. I have made them a few of times since I have lived in the States for work and family parties and they never disappoint. This picture is not of my sausage rolls. I just discovered that I don't have my USB cord to upload my pics so this one will give you an idea until I post a picture of the ones I recently made.

Australian Sausage Rolls

2 packages of Jimmy Dean Mild sausage (You could use whatever Brad you wanted)
1 Medium sized onion (**see note**)
5 tbls spoons of your favorite dried herb mix (I just eyeball it and quit when I think it is well seasoned)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg. (2 sheets) Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets
Butter (for brushing sausage rolls prior to baking)

Mix together in a bowl; sausage meat, minced onion, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Roll out pastry sheets as directed on box. Cut each sheet into 4 long vertical strips and then cut those 4 strips horizontally so that you have strips of pastry that are approximately 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. Using a little more than a tablespoon of meat mixture, place meat in center of piece of pastry. Fold each side in toward the center and place seam down on a greased cookie sheet.

Brush sausage rolls with melted with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Sausage rolls can be eaten cold or reheated at 325 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Many Aussies like to eat these hot with a little tomato sauce or Ketchup. I however like these best at room temperature and like them all on their own.

**Note**- Though my husband and I like the taste of onion, neither of us is a big fan of big chunks of onion in anything so when I make my sausage rolls I mince the onion in my food processor. This is purely our preference.

I promised to post some pics of my own sausage rolls when I got around to uploading them from my camera. See below.

2 comments:

lieslbmarie said...

Yum-I think I'll try those chicken wraps for dinner tonight. ANyway-about the whole blog thing-I am getting tons of pressure from my parents and in-laws to go private. They think that some pervert is going to start stalking my family and molest my kids-I don't know what to think. I mean-there are tons of ways to get my info thru the internet not just off my blog-holy crap what should I do? I would have to say that the majority of bloggers out there are public-If I went private I would feel guilty looking at public blogs like I was being a hypocrit or something....Blah, Blah, Blah-sorry so long-See ya!!

Mimi Sue said...

You come up with the best recipes. I'm going to make both for new years eve. I love anything with cilantro in it and puff pastry? I love it so much I should marry it! Have a happy and safe new years. Oh, we do have a tile saw you guys could borrow if you need it. I tiled our shower it's not too hard.