Monday, December 29, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares



I made these yesterday for a family Christmas Party. Everyone loved them. They are very easy to make and are OH SO moist and yummy. A definite crowd pleaser! They are the type of slice you need to take somewhere after making it, otherwise you can easily end up eating them all yourself. My all time favorite cookie is my sister in law Elizabeth's pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I have tried making pumpkin chocolate chip cookies twice and both times they weren't as moist as I wanted them to be so I was thrilled when I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart website. There is just something about the combination of chocolate and pumpkin that is heavenly. ENJOY!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
• 1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 1/4 cups sugar
• 1 large egg
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
• 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. (I don’t do this. I just grease the pan with cake release or non-stick spray. It works fine)
• In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
• With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in pumpkin puree (mixture may appear curdled). Reduce speed to low, and mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
• Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan.

1 comment:

Mimi Sue said...

I love pumpkin cookies so I'll probably love these too. I'm going to forgo desserts for awhile because all my jeans are getting a little too tight. Have a good week, and a Happy New Year... Sue