Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Apple Bars

Like I mentioned in my previous post- I actually made these both on Friday and Saturday. They were so yummy, but making them twice allowed me to make some modifications that made the second batch that much better. At least I think so. This recipe comes from http://itsdinnertime2.blogspot.com. She has some great recipes on her blog and I am a frequent visitor.



Apple Bars adapted from Allrecipes and then modified again.

2 C sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C butter or margarine, melted
1 C packed brown sugar
1 C white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 C chopped apples (the first time I made these I did two cups of apples the second time I added an extra cup and I loved having more apple in each bite)
1/2 cup firmly chopped walnuts (I omitted this part)
2 T white sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 Degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 C of white sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture until just combined, then stir in the apples and walnuts. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. In a cup of a small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the top of the bars. Bake for 33 minutes (do not over bake...they will seem undone but will firm up as they sit) in preheated oven; Cool in the pan and cut into squares.

For the glaze- I just mixed powered sugar, a little vanilla, a little butter, and milk until I got the desired consistency. I put the bag of icing in the fridge while the bars cooled. And then I snipped a little corner off the bag and drizzled it over the bars.

Gabe had fun making these with me. I would love to instill in him a desire to cook. I mean what girl isn't impressed with a man who can cook?

In an attempt to keep Gabe from getting bored and climbing onto the kitchen table, I pulled out my pots and pans for him to bang on. I showed him what fun noises he could make whilst banging on them with a wooden spoon. He took one look at me banging on the back of the pot, gave me a look like I was the stupidest person he ever saw, turned the pot over and started stirring. That's my boy! I laughed so hard. I was so proud!



No comments: