Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dinner Omelet

The other night I wasn't in the mood to make a big dinner. On the way home from work I had been reading my Cook's Country cookbook on the bus and I came across this omelet recipe. Nana Sandy usually makes omelets for Gabe for breakfast so I knew that he wouldn't object. Gabe LOVES eggs. Brad enjoyed it too. It was just fun to try a different recipe than the one I have always made. I didn't have all the equipment I needed, but managed to improvise which is sometimes part of the fun of trying a new recipe for me I find.

Fluff Dinner-Style Cheese and Canadian bacon Omelet
From The Cook's Country Cookbook
Serves 2


3 tablespoons of heavy cream- chilled
5 large eggs at room temperature- (this is the key to a fluffy omelet)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of salted butter
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream to soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Set the whipped cream aside. Beat the eggs and salt in a clean bowl on high speed until frothy and the eggs have triples in volume, about 2 minutes. Gently fold whipped cream into the eggs.

2. Melt the butter in a 10-inch oven safe non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, swirling the pan to completely coat the bottom and sides with melted butter. Add the egg mixture and cook until the edges are nearly set, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese and Canadian bacon (I cut mine into strips) and transfer to the oven (see note below).

3. Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and let sit, covered until the cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Tilt the pan and, using a rubber spatula, push half of the omelet onto a cutting board. Tilt the skillet so that the omelet folds over onto itself to form a half moon. Cut the omelet in half and serve.

NOTE- I didn't have an oven safe skillet, so I used my regular non-stick skillet and when the sides were set (step 2) I carefully slid the omelet into a 9 inch cake pan (see picture below). Although my cake pan was a little smaller than the 10 inch skillet it worked just fine. I then cooked the omelet in the oven as directed.

No comments: