Friday, March 6, 2009

Bourbon Chicken

I found this recipe on almost all of the food blogs that are on my favorites list, so I finally broke down and made it myself. I'm not sure where the original recipe came from but I used the recipe I found on MMM Cafe's blog to make mine (she adapted her recipe from Blog Chef).

Though this chicken was tasty, it was almost a little too hot? Spicy? for me. Neither my husband nor I are big fans of hot or spicy foods. That being said my 18 month old loved it! I actually fed him first while I was cleaning up (gotta do it while he is confined to his high chair) and when he was almost done I sat down to eat mine and noticed the spiciness of this dish. I was surprised it didn't bother him. I think when I make this next time; I will omit the red pepper flakes all together. My husband loved it too so this will definitely make an appearance on future menus.

Bourbon Chicken
Adapted From: Blog Chef


2lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs. oil (for frying)
4 Tbs. cornstarch

Sauce

1 garlic clove (minced)
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I just used a sprinkling and it was still a tad hot for me. Keep in mind though I'm a wimp!)
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Cut chicken breasts into bit sized pieces, and lightly dust with cornstarch. Heat oil in your wok or frying pan and fry chicken until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

In a separate bowl combine all sauce ingredients. Pour into wok or frying pan and bring to a boil.

Add chicken back to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice

(***note***- I found that the sauce was a little too thin for me, so at the last minute I mixed about 2 tsp's of corn flour with a small amount of water and added it to the dish to thicken the sauce a little- worked like a charm)

No comments: