Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Buttermilk Banana Muffins

On Tuesday while I was home with a sick toddler and a busted back I decided to do something with the bananas on my bench that were quickly ripening and the buttermilk in my fridge which was close to expiring. The end result was a tasty muffin that I think I would definitely make again. I loved these warm with a little butter but knew that by the time my husband came home and tried one that they would no longer be warm. I tend to like things on the plainer and not so sweet side whereas my hubby has quite the sweet tooth. I ended up making some cream cheese frosting to go on top which just added to this yummy muffin.

Banana-Buttermilk Muffins
From Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Healthful Cooking.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup mashed ripe banana
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted the nuts as I didn't have any on hand)

Directions

1-Preheat oven to 375°F.
2-Spray 12 regular muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
3-In a large bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
4-In separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mashed banana, oil, egg and vanilla.
5-Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
6-Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling about three-fourths full.
7-Sprinkle tops evenly with nuts.
8-Bake until lightly brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
9-Allow to cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool completely.

No comments: