Tuesday, May 12, 2009

30 minute rolls- Start to finish!

When it comes to baking and cooking one thing I still need lots of practice making is rolls. I don't feel confident when I embark on a bread or roll venture and I haven't always had success. There seems to be a fine line between under and over flouring the dough and I'm not sure I have it down pat yet. I am so motivated to master making rolls though, that I am not giving up just yet. I'm no quitter!

I LOVE bread and I LOVE rolls. On Sunday I had some of my family over for a Mothers Day dinner and I made these to serve with our meal. Ever since I saw this recipe on the blog of Real Mom Kitchen I had been dying to try it. I love the idea of being able to have homemade rolls in 30 minutes warm out of the oven. These were delicious. I loved the sweetness these rolls had. I will definitely be making these again...maybe even tonight.

One thing to note is that the dough is extremely sticky and moist. These are not the kind of roll you could really shape. To make my rolls I simply grabbed a blob of dough rolled it in my hand and then plopped it in my muffin tin. I made sure to spray my hands with cooking spray frequently so that they dough didn't stick to my hands.

I borrowed this picture from the Real Mom Kitchen blog as Sunday was something of a rush with church and preparing for my guests etc. I just didn't have a chance to snap a picture.

30-Minute Roll (1 dozen version)


1 1/8 cups plus 2 tsp. warm water
1/3 cup oil
2 T yeast
1/4 cup sugar or honey - I used honey
½ tsp. Salt
1 eggs
3 ½ cups flour

Mix 1st 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes. Add salt and eggs - gradually add flour. Shape into dinner rolls, or use in your favorite recipe that calls for dough. After shaped, let rest for 10 minutes. For rolls, Bake 10 minutes @400 degrees ‘till golden brown.

30-Minute Rolls (3 dozen version)

3 ½ cup warm water
1 cup oil
6 T yeast
¾ cup sugar or honey
1 ½ tsp. Salt
3 eggs
10 ½ cups flour

Mix 1st 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes. Add salt and eggs - gradually add flour. Shape into dinner rolls, or use in your favorite recipe that calls for dough. After shaped, let rest for 10 minutes. For rolls, Bake 10 minutes @400 degrees till golden brown.

No comments: