Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

Don't you hate it when you are all excited to try a new recipe and after tasting it the results are not a Wahoo but more of a wa wa waaaaa? That was the case with these muffins. Don't get me wrong, they were fine, but for me they were just a little bland. I kept thinking after eating one, these need some chocolate chips. But I didn't want Pumpkin Streusel Chocolate Chip Muffins! I wanted moist and tasty Pumpkin Streusel Muffins. Back to the drawing board.

These tasted like something out of a fat-free, diet, cooking light (but not flavorful) cookbook. I hate to say it but I don't think I will bother making these again. If anyone has a good, tasty recipe for these PLEASE let me know.

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

1/4 c. margarine or butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Streusel Topping:
1/3 c. flour
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cold butter or margarine
For muffins: cream together margarine and sugars. Add all remaining ingredients and mix together. In a separate bowl, cut together streusel ingredients and sprinkle over muffin batter.
I learnt a cool trick watching America's Test Kitchen on how to successfully add the streusel onto the top of the muffins without making a big mess. The photo is terrible, but what you do is using a round cookie cutter the size of your muffin or cupcake tin place it over the top of the uncooked batter and hold it there while you sprinkle the streusel on top. Once you have placed the desired amount of streusel on top carefully lift the cookie cutter off. This ensures that the streusel stays on top of the muffin where you want it. I love this trick!

Bake in prepared muffin tin at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Makes one dozen muffins.

1 comment:

Angela said...

The muffins look great.