Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Boys day out...Girls night in




This past Saturday Brad along with his dad, brothers (Blake and Brian), cousin Patrick and uncles Terry and Mark drove to Laramie, Wyoming to watch the University of Utah football game. The boys left at about 5:00 am on Saturday morning and were gone until 10:00 pm ish on Saturday night. While the game was a wipe out with the U kicking Wyoming's butt, the boys had a fun time hanging out and bonding. For us girls left behind, we were just grateful that the snowy weather didn't cause too many problems on the 5 1/2 hour drive there and back again. We were all relieved to have our boy's home safely!


That being said...while the husbands were away, the girls did play. I spent the morning cleaning my house and hanging out with Gabe, while my sisters-in-law Shanna and Liz did the same. Then in the afternoon Shanna came over and we worked on our quilting blocks together. Yes, I know it may come as a shock to some, but I did actually touch a sowing machine! AND I didn't break it! Shanna is a sowing wiz and so she was my oh so sweet and patient tutor. I actually had alot of fun and the look on Brads face when he came home and saw my quilting square was SO worth it. I think he may have actually been a little proud of me.

In the evening Shanna and I cooked a lovely dinner. Liz arrived with my nephew Andrew just in time to eat. After we shared a yummy dinner Shanna and I made a pie for dessert (Liz was busy on baby watch) and then we spent the evening watching a chick flick, eating yummy pie and chatting until our boys came home. We had so much fun together and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Having sisters is so much fun. I truly loved growing up with my four younger brothers and when I was younger never really felt like I had missed out on not having sisters. However, especially in more recent years, I have come to truly love and appreciate my sisters and am excited at the possibility of having even more someday. There is just something different about the love of and for sisters. I am so grateful to Liz and Shanna for all that they do and for the examples they are to me. I love that we can be there for each other and that we all bring something different to the table. We seem to learn so much from each other.
Here is a pic of the pie we made. Our first one! Boy did we feel domestic. Cleaning, sowing and making a pie from scratch all in one day. Look out Martha! I focused on making the dough, while Shanna made the filling. I found that it was so much easier using the shapes to cover the top of the pie rather than fussing with a regular rolled out top that you have to pinch etc. I also think it adds so much more interest. I can't wait to make more pies, using different shapes. The pictures aren't the greatest, but you get the idea.
This is the pie before we put it in the oven. I thought it just looked so pretty. I was quite proud of myself.
Ok so it isn't blood that is smeared across my benches, the pie was just extra juicy. =)

The Bentley sisters Top from Left- Shelbi, Nat & Shanna- Bottom left Liz & Savannah.

2 comments:

Shanna said...

I love having sisters too!!

Melisa said...

Are you for hire? The pie looks delicious and probably tasted better since you had so much fun. :>