Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Shots Shots and more Shots!!!!

Yesterday I took Gabe in for his one year doctors appointment. Thankfully daddy was able to meet us at the doctors office in between classes and work. I say thankfully, because our little Gabe had to have 4 different shots. Poor little guy. Even though I know they are necesary and good for him, I just can't sit there and watch while they give my sweet little boy shots. I know it is pathetic, but I just can't do it. Daddy gets to be the bad guy while I wait outside and then as soon as they are done I rush in and take him. Yesterday was particularly difficult. I don't think I have ever heard Gabe cry as hard as he did and it broke my heart. Once the nurse left and Brad and I were alone trying to console Gabe I lost it and then I actually cried all the way home too (I know I know). This was one instance where the lolly pop did not help! Brad said that right before the nurse gave him his shots she gave him a lolly pop. He was sitting on Brads lap happily sucking on it until she gave Gabe the first shot, then he took the lolly pop out of his mouth and Brad said when she gave him the second shot he threw the lolly pop on the floor.

Despite the yucky shots, Dr. Doug said Gabe was developing wonderfully. He isn't the chubbiest or tallest little kid. He was only in the 20th percentile for weight and the 30th percentile for height, but Dr. Doug said that isn't a bad thing at all. Dr. Doug also said he was very advanced in his speech and abilities (or as we call them "tricks") and developmentally is about 5 or 6 months ahead. Currently Gabe can say Yes, No No No, Mum, Dad, Bubba, Nat, Nanna, O Oh, Jesus, Shoot! (whoops he got that from me), is close to saying "more", and is trying to immitate almost everything else we say and any sound we make. Yesterday in the car we were listening to a song that says "low low low" in the chorus and he was saying "low" along with the music. I had the hardest time driving I was laughing so hard. He is so smart and Brad and I marvel daily at how fast he picks things up. Thankfully we didn't have any initial reactions from the shots and Gabe fell asleep on the way home and by the time we got home was out for the count. He didn't even flinch when I moved him from his car seat to his bed. By the time he woke up from his nap, you wouldn't even have known he had had such a hard morning.

Yesterday afternoon, Gabe and I took a trip to the grocery store and while we were at the register he grabbed my wallet, pulled out a card and lunged forward trying to swipe it in the debit card machine. It's amazing how fast they pick up on things. Gabe is just such a joy to be with and I cherish my days off with him. I sure do love my little man!


Brian and Shanna Bentley said...

Oh, I'm so glad that Brad was able to be there with you! That is definitley going to be a hard thing. But I'm glad the rest of the day went good!!

Jason and Erin Webster said...

What a cute boy! I was just like you with the shots. I hated those days! I'm glad he did so well for you though! Oh, and I absolutely LOVE that family picture of you guys too!