Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gabe's first haircut!

Even though I really didn't want to, I finally broke down and did it. Brad and I equipped with the camera and video camera (such first time parents!) took Gabe to a salon on Saturday morning to have his first hair cut. Technically speaking this wasn't his very first hair cut. When he was about 5 months old I did give him a small trim around the ears, but this was his first hair cut at the hairdressers and she definately had ALOT more hair to deal with than I did back then. I wasn't ambitious enough to cut his hair this time.

I really wasn't sure how well it was going to go. When we arrived the hairdresser put a cape on me first and then had Gabe sit on my lap. He wasn't too sure what to think about this strange black thing that was covering his mum. Then she put the cape on him and he really wasn't sure. He is at that age where he really doesn't like having his hands covered up and the cape draped right over them. Once I had found his little hands for him, he seemed more comfortable. The clincher though was when the hairdresser gave Gabe a lolly pop. When she first gave it to him, I didn't know whether to freak out and take it away because I really try not to give Gabe sweets but I figured if that was what it was going to take to get his hair cut then I could make an exception. I have decided that I can justify lolly pops for hair cuts and traumatic doctor visits. Once he had that lolly pop in hand he didn't seem to care what she was doing to his head...funny how that works. The lady who cut his hair was wonderful. It seemed to take all of about 5 minutes which was nice. Cleaning him up was the fun part. The lolly pop had created quite the sticky mess and his hair was stuck all over him...and me. Brad got some great pictures. Gabe was such a trooper and was even kind enough to even share his sticky and very hairy lolly pop with mummy. YUM!
Love the face!

Mmmmm lolly pop!
I love his face in this one. I think the hair was starting to itch him. It looks like he is about to sneeze.
"I like these lolly pop things Mum!"
By this stage we didn't want to sit down anymore...Such a good sharing boy. Yummy, hairy, sticky lolly pop! mmmmmm


No comments: