Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Apple Crisp Cake with Caramel Sauce

This past Sunday we had a baptism to attend and I was asked to bring a dessert. I love apple crisp, cake and caramel sauce so when I found this recipe for Apple Crisp Cake with Caramel Sauce it was a no brainer.

Apple Crisp Cake w/ Caramel Sauce
Topping
1/2 C All-Purpose Flour
1/2 C Rolled Oats
1/4 C Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 C Butter
Cake
1 package yellow Cake Mix- I used white
1 C Water
1/2 C Butter -- Softened
1 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Eggs
2 C Thinly Sliced Peeled Apples
Sauce
I used my favorite caramel sauce recipe- see previous post
Heat oven to 350.
Generously grease and flour 13 x 9 inch pan. Lightly spoon flour into
a measuring cup; level off. In small bowl, combine flour oats and
brown sugar; mix well. With fork, cut in 1/2 cup butter until mix
resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine all cake ingredients except apples; beat at
low speed until moistened. Beat 2 mins at high. Pour batter into pan.
Arrange apple slices over top of batter. Sprinkle with topping.

Bake at 350 for 38-43 mins. Or until deep golden brown (See note). Cool 5
minutes before serving.


***NOTE*** I had never seen or made this cake before so didn't know really what to expect. When the cake had about 15 minutes left to bake I checked it and noticed that it appeared to be erupting in spots. I've never had a cake do that to me before so wasn't sure what to think. Once the timer went off and a toothpick came out clean I examined it a little closer and came to the conclusion that it was probably supposed to look like that. Just a side note incase you try to make it and panic when it does the same thing.

I really did like this cake. It was a tad drier than I hoped it would be but other than that the flavor was spot on. You have to keep in mind that for me to love a cake it has to be ultra moist otherwise I am always a little disappointed. I think I'll make this again. Given that I had to make it to take somewhere it was a little difficult to serve it warm, but I think if I were to make it again I'd serve it warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Mmmm I could go for some right now.

No comments: