Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bread and butter- It's what I live for!

If I had to live on bread and butter alone- I could do it and would do it with a HUGE smile on my face. I have decided that bread and butter is the devils food! On Sunday I tried this recipe for Divine Breadsticks from My Kitchen Cafe to accompany our lasagna for dinner and they were awesome!

Divine Breadsticks
1 ½ cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
Butter for the pan and for brushing over the top of breadsticks

Mix all ingredients (except butter) and knead for three minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt desired amount of butter on baking pan- I used about 3 or 4 tablespoons. Roll out dough about 1/8-inch thick and cut into strips (see pictures below). Place in butter and put close together. Sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.


Once I have cut these I take each one and twist it before putting it on the buttered tray.

I had a McCormack garlic bread sprinkle that I sprinkled on mine and then I added some Italian herbs I had. The garlic bread sprinkle has garlic, salt and cheese in it. You could put whatever you wanted on them really.


On Monday night I made this cheesy bread to go with dinner and it is the yummiest cheesy bread I have had to date. The best part was that it was just as good the next day! I found the recipe on www.elise.com. This was unlike any other cheesy bread I've ever tasted. The topping was creamy and delightful! Brad really liked it too which is saying something. That boy is hard to please!

Cheesy Bread Recipe


Ingredients
8 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1 cup chopped green onion (to taste)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup, 4 ounces), softened to the point of being slightly melted
1 to 2 loaves of French or Italian bread (I used French load), depending on the size of the loaves (see note below)

Method
1 In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses and the green onion. Stir in the mayonnaise and sour cream. In a separate small bowl blend the butter and garlic until smooth. Add the butter mixture to the cheese mixture.
2 Preheat broiler. Slice loaf of bread in half horizontally, lay crust side down. Spread cheese mixture over the bread. Place under the broiler until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3 Remove from broiler and let sit for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice the bread with a bread knife. Serve.

Makes 30 to 40 slices.

***Note*** For my cheesy bread I just purchased a French loaf from my local supermarket and cut it in half lengthways. I used all of the mixture for my two halves which was divine, but there was plenty of topping and I easily had enough for another French loaf. The next time I make this (just to save my hips) I'll halve the recipe.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

I absolutely love cheese bread and those bread sticks look super easy and really yummy. I will definitley be trying both of these recipes!!