Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentines Day- It all started on Thursday

I got totally spoiled this past weekend. It all started on Thursday. It had been a crappy week to say the least, but when I got home from the gym on Thursday night Brad and Gabe had been to the florist and bought me a bunch of red tulips. Tulips are my most favorite flower! That definitely put a smile on my face.

On Saturday when I got home from the gym there were more tulips on the kitchen table with a gorgeous card from Brad and a painting from Gabe. Gabe just loves to finger paint and I just love it when he and Daddy get together to paint for me. Gabe was so proud to show me his picture and his little face just melted me.

A little later on Saturday Brad gave me a special gift he had spent a bunch of time making. It was the best gift of all. He had put together a pictures to music DVD of our little family with some of my favorite songs that was 30 minutes long. Needless to say I was a mess while I watched it. So many fun and special memories flooded back whilst watching this special DVD. One thing that was particularly special about the DVD was the second song. Ever since we picked Gabe up I have sung two songs to him consistently. We have dubbed them our songs and Gabe loves them. One is "You are my Sunshine" and the other is "My Girl"- which of course is changed to say "My Boy or My Gabe". The second song on the DVD was the song "You are my Sunshine". It couldn't have been more perfect. Whenever I sing it to Gabe he smiles and sways and then claps when I'm done. Then Brad surprised me and told me that once we had Gabe down for the night his brother Blaine was going to come over and listen for Gabe while we went to a movie. We hadn't been to a movie or on a date in I don't know how long and so I was SO excited.

For lunch on Saturday we went to a local place and enjoyed some good Greek food. Rather than go out and fight the crowds this year I wanted to make us a special Valentines Dinner. We had Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce over rice and then for dessert one of our favorite cakes/slices Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares with homemade Caramel Sauce and vanilla ice cream (recipes to follow). It was delicious. It is funny to me how my love of cooking has translated into me never wanting to go out to eat anymore. The only time I really feel like going out to eat is if I am craving a good piece of fish, otherwise I enjoy cooking and eating in more these days.

Once Gabe was in bed we headed off to the movies. Funnily enough we didn't even know what movies were out. When you have husband in school with mounds of homework, work full time, and a baby what's out at the movie theatre suddenly doesn't seem so important. My brother Josh had been to see a movie called "Taken" the night before and strongly recommended it so we went with that. We were so glad that we did. It was an AWESOME movie and everyone who loves a good action flick should definitely see it. I would definitely call it a "must see".

I thoroughly enjoyed Valentines Day this year and the weekend with my two favorite boys and I am so thankful to have such a wonderful husband. I love you Brad! Thank you for the perfect ending to a rough week.

No comments: