Thursday, February 19, 2009

Parmesan Chicken and Rice

I found this recipe last week on http://amberskitchen.blogspot.com>

After a long day at work I am all about fast and tasty dishes that don't use all of my pots and pans. This one was a one skillet wonder! It was especially yummy and both my husband and my 18 month old loved it (a huge plus). I would definitely make this again. One thing I may add next time is some sweet white corn just to change it up a little.

Parmesan Chicken and Rice
(Source: CookingLight.com)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms- I omitted these since we don't like mushrooms
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup dry white wine- ***See note***
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup uncooked instant rice- ***see note***
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley- I omitted this as I didn't have any

Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Add wine, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in rice and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese and parsley.

Yield 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 395(18% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 2.8g,mono 3.7g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 29.9g; CHOLESTEROL 57mg; CALCIUM 171mg; SODIUM 656mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 4.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.4g

***Note*** When I made this last night I omitted the white wine because we didn't have any. I had read in a cookbook somewhere that you can substitute chicken broth for white wine so that is what I did.

***Note*** I also didn't have any instant rice so I just cooked my rice in my rice cooker and then added it to the dish when the recipe said to

No comments: