Friday, April 10, 2009

Delicious Chicken Enchiladas and my awesome sister-in-law

A couple of weeks ago when I was having a particularly crappy day with these horrible mouth ulcers (which I still have mind you!) I was driving home from work crying, feeling miserable and definately not in the mood to cook when my sister in law Liz called to say that she was bringing me dinner. I'm not good at accepting the help of others but on this particular day she did not have to twist my arm. The result was more tears- happy ones this time and the most delicious chicken enchiladas I have ever tasted. Thank you Liz- I love you and owe you BIG time. You helped me more than you will ever know!

These were perfect served smothered with sour cream and spanish rice as a side dish.

Liz's Delicious Chicken Enchiladas

Filling:
-6 chicken breasts (or so...)
-Anywhere from 3/4 to 1 full bottle of homemade chili sauce (this is to your taste and I have only found this homemade chili sauce at Smith's- by the ketchup, it is not at Wal-Mart or any other grocery store that I have been to)
-1 small green pepper- finely chopped
-1 (8 oz.) block of cream cheese- softened
-1 to 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Sauce:
One part cream of chicken to one part sour cream (I usually make a lot of sauce as I like saucy stuff...but you can make as little or as much sauce as you like)

Method:
-Preheat oven to 350
-Mix filling ingredients together. If it seems dry, add some of your sauce to the filling. I like to add at least a little bit for flavor.
-Mix sauce
-Spread a few Tblspoons of sauce in bottom of 9x13 pan
-Fill tortillas with filling (About 1 tortilla for every chicken breast) roll and place in pan
-Spread sauce over top of tortillas
-Spread about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the top
-Bake at 350 uncovered for about 40 minutes or until heated through.

Note from Liz- I have found that this is a great freezer meal as it tastes just as good after being frozen. You can also chop the recipe in half to bake in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.

No comments: