Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yummy Blitz Bread

I have already mentioned an awesome blog that I found recently called "My Kitchen Cafe". I had also said that it was on this blog that I found my recipe for my Monday night Sweet and Sour Chicken, which was a great success.

Last week while I was looking at this blog and making up my two week menu I also came across another recipe I was dying to try for an easy to make bread called "Blitz Bread". Last night while I was driving home from work to get Gabe I thought I would bust I was so excited to make this bread to go with dinner. I thought If I can work all day and still have time to make a yummy bread to serve with dinner, then that would be an accomplishment. Well I did it! I can't say that I take all the credit. This bread recipe was super easy and no fuss at all.

I wasn't home when Brad pulled it out of the oven, as I was at the gym with my sister in law Shanna, but Brad (my husband) really liked it and so did my 15 month old son! I served it with a chicken stir-fry which is probably not the best meal to serve it with given that the bread is similar to an Italian foccacia bread, but it was a nice compliment all the same. I have included the recipe below. Another recipe I will make time and time again for sure! Thanks Melanie!

(I borrowed this picture from another site, as I left my camera at home today...will have to post mine tomorrow.)


Blitz Bread- adapted from King Arthur Flour
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) warm water
3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) olive oil (plus additional for drizzling)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups (14 ¾ ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3 teaspoons dried herbs dried herbs for sprinkling ( I used a store bought mix that was Italian seasoning)
1) Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom.2) Combine all of the ingredients, except the dried herbs for sprinkling, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds. I used my Bosch and used the bread attachment. 3) Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it is puffy.4) While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F.5) Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger.6) Drizzle it lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with the dried herbs of your choice, if desired.7) Bake the bread till it’s golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.8) Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.To make cheese-stuffed bread: Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese to the dough after it's been kneaded for 60 seconds.

The only thing I found when I made my bread was that while it was rising, my bread didn't quite spread to all edges of the pan. Nonetheless, it was still delicious and once cut up no-one even needed to know that was the case.



No comments: