Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake or upside down Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

On Mothers Day this year my mother gave me a new cookbook. I was so excited when she gave it to me because little did she know, that I had been wanting this particlar cook book. The title of the book is the Worldwide Ward Cookbook by Deanna Buxton.

It has recipes from all over the world and I have had lots of fun cooking from this book. This cake recipe is definitely one I will be making again. My husband and son couldn't get enough of it. I even had to hide it because if my little boy saw it before I fed him breakfast in the morning he would say "cake" and point at it until I gave him some. I think he had a piece with his breakfast lunch and dinner for 2 days until it was all gone. Thankfully we gave half of the cake to some friends, otherwise we would have eaten the whole thing.

I renamed this cake the Upside down Banana Chocolate Chip Cake because for some reason my chocolate chips sank to the bottom and so when I pulled the cake out of the pan the cake looked like an upside down cake. I'm not sure if that was supposed to happen but either way it tasted amazing.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake or Upside down Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Worldwide Ward Cookbook


Cake:
1-1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbl spoons sour cream
1-1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup bananas (mashed)

Topping:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1 tbl spoon of cinnamon
1 cup of chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)- I left these out

Line an angel food cake pan with waxed paper and grease well. (I don't have an angel food pan so I used a bundt pan and just buttered it well). Cream the butter and sugar and add eggs. Combine baking soda and sour cream; stir into butter and sugar mixture. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Stir in vanilla and bananas. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle half of tghe topping over the batter in the pan. Pour remaining batter into the pan and sprinkle with the rest of the topping. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes checking regularly. Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean. Cool before removing from the pan.

No comments: