Monday, July 6, 2009

Chicken Divan

A few weeks ago now my husband told me that he wanted to go on a diet to try and lose some weight. My first reaction (trying to play the supportive wife role) was "Ok, I can start looking for recipes that are lower in fat and healthier for you." In my mind however, I was whining and thinking "Ah crap, that's no fun!" I need an attitude adjustment. I am still wrapping my head around the idea that meals can truly be healthy AND delicious. I have been blessed in so much that as long as I exercise my butt off on a regular basis at the gym (which thankfully I love) I can control my weight. I don't do diets. Oddly enough I have enough will power to exercise but not really "diet." Wish us luck!

So with this new mission in mind, I jumped online and started surfing blogs that promised healthier meals. This one is from a Weight Watchers website. My husband loved it and it was only 3.5 points (hope that means something to someone).

Chicken Divan
“Mayo Clinic’s Virtual Cookbook



2 packages frozen broccoli spears
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese (I may have snuck a little extra in) =)
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs ( I made my own)

Heat oven to 350° F. Steam broccoli until tender (about 2 minutes). Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Drain broccoli and place in the bottom of the baking dish.

Boil chicken until done. Cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add to broccoli. Combine the yogurt with the soup and curry powder. Pour over the chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Top with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings

2 comments:

Angela said...

The Chicken Divan looks great. I'll have to pass that recipe on to my parents who are trying to diet right now. Thanks.

The Ince's said...

Here's a website you should check out then.... http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/default2.aspx

I have tried a couple of the recipes and they were delicious!

Happy food hunting!