Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Grilled Cheese Burgers and the 4th Weekend

The 4th of July just wouldn't be the 4th of July for me unless it involved staying up late on the 3rd to put out chairs for the parade, the annual parade down Main Street on the 4th, and a delicious BBQ lunch afterwards. Though I am not an American, I do enjoy the 4th of July holiday. I enjoy the patriotic colors, the time spent visiting with friends and family, the food, the fireworks and the general mood of the day.

This 4th of July the majority of our family were away on a trip to Yellowstone. Though we couldn't go, we didn't let that spoil our fun. We enjoyed taking our little one to the parade, eating our tasty lunch, our lazy afternoon and watching some fireworks later that evening.

My husband loves homemade hamburgers. Who doesn't really? Though I am not completely opposed to buying pre-made hamburger patties, to me homemade patties just taste that much better. These were DELICIOUS!

Grilled Cheese Burgers
Rachel Ray


3 tablespoons of olive oil (I use extra virgin)
1 small onion chopped fine
1 1/4 pounds of ground sirloin
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of oil. Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender about 4-5 minutes. Remove onions and place in a large mixing bowl.

When the onions have cooled slightly, add the ground sirloin, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Mix to combine. (If you can stand it, this is best done using your hands). Divide meat into 4 portions and shape into round patties. Grill until cooked through.

We enjoyed our burgers topped with all the regular favorites- cheese, grilled bacon, lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise. I forgot about it this time around, but as is customary in Australia, I would usually also fry and egg and have that on our burgers too. Mmmmmmmm.

The Parade
Mmmmm Taffy!


Making friends with another Nana
They had lots of fun chatting and Gabe enjoyed sharing his candy with her

Me and my Daddy!

Me and my Mummy!

I had bought a small squirter bottle to help keep us cool and Gabe had a ball squirting people with it. We were laughing hysterically the whole time. He is definatelty cute enough to get away with it.


I love his cheeky smile in this one. He knew excatly what he was doing!

1 comment:

ScottBoomer said...

If I'd known you guys were there I would have made sure to toss you some candy from the fire engine.