Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oh My Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

Another amazing recipe from Gina's weight watcher recipe blog. I had been on the hunt for a mild chicken curry recipe for a while but just wasn't thrilled with the ones I had read. I love a good mild chicken curry and I especially love it when it also has potatoes in it. I had an amazing chicken curry once at an Indian restaurant in Australia and every time I heard chicken curry after that I would think back to that amazing dish. This dish was exactly what I was looking for and it met every expectation I had. I was a little worried about whether or not Brad and my 2 year old would like it but they both loved it. My two year old couldn't get enough. He ate his plate and then devoured mine too. I was thrilled! The only thing that would have made this dish any better was some homemade Naan on the side. It is definately a goal of mine to learn how to make that and soon.

Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
Servings: 6 servings • Time: 35 minutes • Points: 4.3 ww points


1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp roasted cumin
1 1-2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large tomato, chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup water
1 large potato, peeled and diced small
6 skinless chicken thighs (I used two boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
kosher salt to taste

Add oil to a large pan, on medium heat. When oil is hot add onion and garlic and sauté. Add cumin, masala and curry powder and mix well. Place chicken in the pan and season with salt. Mix together with all spices and brown on both side for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, cilantro, water, coconut milk and adjust salt to taste. Mix all ingredients and cover pan, simmer on low until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Add potatoes and more water if neccesary and simmer, covered an additional 5-10 minutes. This dish is great served with rice or roti.

1 skinless chicken thigh = 3 pts
1/2 cup light coconut milk = 2.1 pts
1 large potato = 3 pts

No comments: