Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chocolate Slice

Another one of my favorite treats growing up was this chocolate slice. It had been a long time since I had eaten it and while looking through a cookbook I recently remembered it and so called my mum for the recipe. I had forgotten how quick and easy it was to make. This is the perfect throw together slice to take to friends or family or for a special lunchbox treat.

Chocolate Slice


250 gms butter plus more for greasing pan
1 cup sugar
1 tab Golden syrup- light corn syrup can be substituted
2 tab cocoa
1 tsp vanilla essence to taste
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup coconut (I used sweetened flakes as it was all I could find)
2 cups of flower

Place butter, sugar, golden syrup, cocoa and vanilla essence in a pot/saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add baking powder, coconut and flour and mix
Place in greased dish 13x9. Bake for 10 mins only at 350 F. When cold ice with your favorite chocolate frosting. You really need to give this a few hours to set up before cutting it. If you don't it will be very soft and though delicious will not cut into neat squares.

No comments: